Wednesday, September 19, 2007

FR -- Dance Floor Game @ Noc Noc

After a week off, Comfort and I hit Noc-Noc last night for their weekly Tuesday 80s-night. We arrived a bit early, 10:30-ish, and I rather expected it to be on the empty side...but it was already packed to the hilt! Upon first glance, there were tons of HBs as well (at least by "Tuesday night in Seattle" standards). We proceeded to the dance floor as a Prince song blared from the soundsystem. I like this club because, obviously, there is a dance floor where I can do “dance game”, as well as the bar area where it’s loud but not so much that conversation is difficult. I noticed a 3-set with one HB8 seated near the entrance, but I wasn’t in a talkative mood tonight and felt like focusing on non-verbal approaches on the dance floor. Honestly, I’m noticing it still scares me to open really attractive girls, ie, pushing past the “7” barrier. It sucks, but I’m exposing this SP and getting very aware of it, which I hope will motivate me to work on this and get over it.

We got a beer, chatting up some people in line, including HBRedHead whom we met two weeks earlier. Returning to the dance floor, I notice and AI and walk over to her. Nothing great, not fat, but old and not really cute, but I dance with her and do some kino for practice. Her friend is hotter, and she introduces me (not many words were exchanged, pretty much just ‘hi my name is..’ sort of thing). I dance a bit with her friend, but don’t really kino. It’s like when I switch from a 5 to an 8 I automatically revert to AFC-ness. I thought about this, how I could really push it with the hotter girl to get some result, either good or bad. But at least a result, instead of inaction. I think basically I need to “go caveman”.

There aren’t many qualities of my current personality that would make “going caveman” easy for me, so it’s something I need to really work at and push myself. Some things that come to mind : kino early and often, maybe even borderline things that might get me slapped ☺ -- it’s a matter of calibrating, and sometimes I have to go too far, cross the line, and then pull back, in order to figure out where I need to be. Also, not just dancing with one girl, but dancing with many of the girls, bouncing from one to the next like a madman. Done right, they will enjoy this and smile, having a fun time. Other girls will notice this and see that I am warm and friendly, basically this will act as a DHV as well as building social-proof.

I opened a few sets in the bar, nothing groundbreaking. I’ve got pretty bad AA right now for having been dormant for a while. More serious, is that even once I open, I am having the worst time transitioning out of the opener. I will elaborate on this in a future post (hopefully reporting some progress on this SP as well). On a positive note, I seem to be surprisingly comfortable approaching chicks on the dance floor at Noc Noc...it's got a friendly vibe. I should try Venom sometime.

PS – time for a rant…

[Begin rant]
Thoughts on "Community Terms": I tend to use them a lot, and yeah I realize it’s kind of geeky. The thing is, it’s also very useful. I view pickup as a skill and an art, in the same vein as a martial art like Tae Kwon Do, or salsa dancing. In any of these areas, having a vocabulary to describe concepts and techniques allows for more effective communication between teacher and student or among fellow students. I’m not just throwing them into my posts to sound cool and profound. Imagine teaching TKD and instead of saying “use a roundhouse kick”, you have to say “now swing your leg around in a semicircular motion, striking with the front of the foot”. So, instead of "perform an action or tell story which increases your perceived value and builds attraction”, it’s easier just to say DHV. We can debate what is and isn’t a DHV and whether the whole concept itself is BS or not, but that will have to wait for another day.
[End rant]

No comments: